9.26.2007

Like it was yesterday...

This passage of time... we are rolling the days into autumn... autumn, which always rolls off the tongue much more beautifully than fall... but think of fall, the imagery of it. I like them both I think.

I like that I am a living thing and this gift of smell taste touch feel see is mine to share with so many other beings. I like that the dogs get squirmy and excited when cool fronts blow in, the same way I do. I like the raising of noses to the smell of chocolate cookies.

Julia lives near the bread factory, or rather, it was a bread factory when I was growing up, though now I don't know if it is still the Mrs. Barids factory or not... but early in the morning driving by we would roll the windows down, or maybe, since our cars never worked properly, and they still don't to this day, maybe the windows were already down... and the smell would come curling in. Huge delicious wafts that made you want bread. Made you worship bread. Even if you were not really much of a bread person, like me. It didn't matter. At that moment you needed nothing more in life than bread... at that moment you could understand the Hebrew children thanking god for the manna, the bread, dropping from the sky! What a gift! BREAD! Please god, drop some warm soft bread today for me! You wanted to sleep in a bed made of hot delicious bread rolls...

I remember that so vividly.

That is an amazing thing. I wonder how many other people have similar memories of that bread factory? Of waking up in the morning to smell pure heaven. I wonder. It's something I share with thousands of people probably and I don't even know who they are. It's like having family I've never known... this single thread connecting us... six degrees to the bread factory...

No comments: